Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Countdown

Buying and playing video games is simply my favorite things to do. I love playing brand new games and just experiencing these new worlds developers have created. With this being said, the countdown is my next favorite thing. This is the time leading up to the release where the developers will show off some new trailers or tease you just a bit more about the game. This time period is where they just push the excitement through the roof.

 My current games that I am in countdown for are Payday 2 (Aug 13) and Saints Row IV (Aug 20). One of the countdown features Deep Silver has done for Saints Row is the Inauguration Station. You can use all the tools for character customization here. It’s a fun tease to the game and you character can actually be carried over. This is just one good example of a countdown feature.

The Countdown reaches its pinnacle of excitement at the midnight release. Retailers like Gamestop know how to hold a midnight release. I loved going to them and partaking in the launch.  All the conversations, watching newest trailers, sharing new info, and even some activities set up by the store. I remember at one midnight launch, we played video game Pictionary. My friends and I are always dedicated to being first in line. We waited 11 hours once to ensure this. I would still say that it was one of my best memories.

Once you have the game, you still have the drive home. You are studying the game case, looking for any new info that it could present. If you purchased a collector’s edition, you are tearing through all the cool items you received. All this leads to the moment. The moment you get home and get that game started. This is the moment you have been waiting for since you heard about the game being made. This is the culmination of hundreds upon hundreds of hours of work by these developers, and it is yours to experience.

The countdown is the moment I look forward to. I enjoy every moment I have to wait for these games because I know it will be worth it. I’m excited for every new trailer and midnight release. I can’t wait for my next countdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment